Aspera SmartTrack simplifies Software Asset Management with fully automated license re-harvesting
December 2017 by Marc Jacob
Aspera released version 4.2.5 of its technology platform SmartTrack. With the new release, the platform’s powerful re-harvesting feature is now fully automated and helps CIOs and IT departments to reach their cost reduction goals faster.
Approximately 50% of all requests for client software can be covered with existing licenses, significantly reducing spend for new licenses.
Using SmartTrack’s new re-harvesting automation, customers get:
• Increased time savings by avoiding manual work
• Financial savings by recycling licenses instead of buying new ones
• Maximum transparency into their software and license usage
With SmartTrack, Aspera customers can automate re-harvesting in three steps:
1. Define a time threshold for software usage, so SmartTrack will automatically notify the user of the unused application.
2. If the user does not need the software, SmartTrack directly notifies the customers’ deployment system to remove the installation, and
3. Frees up the license so it can be used by another user.
Learn more in a FREE webinar
On January 24, 2018, Aspera will host a webinar about the benefits of re-harvesting, and demo the fully automated re-harvesting feature in SmartTrack. Aspera has also refined its Savings Calculator for Software Asset Management enabling users to easily estimate how much they can save with re-harvesting—in addition to six other ways to save with SAM.
Gartner report “Select the right SAM Tool”
According to Gartner, “Software asset management tools have become popular; however, their diverse data requirements make the selection process challenging. By ensuring their SAM tool delivers four primary capabilities, infrastructure and operations leaders will choose the right SAM tool to support their enterprise goals.”
Within one of the four capabilities (optimizing software value delivery and information sharing) listed for Base SAM tool requirements, Gartner notes that a minimum requirement is to have “The ability to identify unused or infrequently used software, and to recommend harvesting or eliminating such licenses, thus aiding software acquisition and disposal decisions that reduce costs.” (1)
(1) Gartner: Select the Right SAM Tool to Reduce Risks, Optimize Costs and Improve Decision Making, Roger Williams, Victoria Barber, Matt Corsi, 21 August 2017, ID: G00334605.