Gemalto selected to provide Colombia’s first SIM-based mobile banking service
November 2007 by Marc Jacob
Gemalto announces the successful commercial launch of its mobile banking services with all Colombian GSM operators and Colombia’s largest banking network, Redeban Multicolor. This solution from Gemalto allows the mobile subscribers to perform secure transactions on the move and access banking services, transfer money, check their account balance, recharge mobile pre-paid, and pay bills. These services are accessible through an easy- to-navigate menu and available 24 hours a day.
Gemalto’s mobile Banking solution includes a secure software application stored in the SIM (Subscriber Identity Module) card, a server and software that interprets the messages that are exchanged between the banks and the SIM. The solution offers security in the entire transaction process, since the messages are encrypted in the SIM chip and decrypted at the banks’ server, which translates the messages to a specific format.
Available at Comcel and the other Colombian GSM operators, as part of their value added wireless services portfolio, in coordination with Bancolombia and Banco AVVillas, through Colombia’s Banking Network, Redeban Multicolor, the mobile banking service is already exceeding stakeholders’ expectations.
“The m-banking menu is already available to more than 20 million GSM subscribers in the country. Our initial expectation is that 20% of this customer base will execute at least 5 transactions per month. The service is already generating demand, balance check and pre-paid re-charge being the most required services. A few weeks after the launch, the first results show a very successful uptake of the service with more than half million transaction making an average of 6 requests, per active user, per month. To us it clearly showcases the winning combination of the solution: convenience, ease-of-use, mobility and security”, says Valentin Echeverry, Technology and Operations Vice-President at Redeban Multicolor.
- Gemalto And Far EasTone Telecommunications Co. Ltd. Partner To Start Asia’s First ‘Pay-Buy Mobile’ Trial
- Gemalto Achieves Major Breakthrough in Security Technology with Java CardTM Highest Level of Certification
- Gemalto Provides Web Services to SEB’s German Affiliate for Designing Personalized Credit Cards
- Gemalto and Devon IT Provide Security for Healthcare Organizations
- Gemalto Attains Gold Certified Partner Status in Microsoft Partner Program
- Gemalto Receives “Best Software” Sesames Award with “Sconnect“
- Gemalto’s Personalization Center in Poland Achieves MasterCard® and Visa Accreditations